Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Feather Frenzy...


Well this past weekend was the BMQG's annual quilt retreat weekend at the Franciscan Guest House in Kennebunk.  I wasn't able to get away for the entire weekend, but my friend Samantha and I were able to take advantage of a "commuter pass" to come up for a long day of sewing and socializing with the ladies. It was fabulous and so much fun to get to see everyone's works in progress!


Photo of Samantha & I courtesy of the BMQG - thanks Alice!
I had purposely been hoarding a stash of fabrics to create a quilt top using Anna Maria Horner's Feather pattern just for the retreat, and was supremely optimistic that I'd be able to churn out a bunch of feathers.  So just how many feathers did I make during an uninterrupted day of sewing?

(dramatic pause)

Actually my grand total was 7, but 5 was my total when I posted them up on the retreat design walls.  Yeah...I was kind of disappointed. 


Definitely not with how they came out though - I love the colors and fabrics together, and the feathers themselves are pretty big.  I can see myself embracing some negative space with a quilt top totaling no more than 20-30 feathers. 

 
But putting these babies together is a lot of work, which did get done in bulk at the retreat.  Lots of fabric strips were ironed, cut and pieced together and template pieces are all set to go - its the sewing grunt work that takes up the most time!  I just thought that I'd get a little further in the project. 

 
Oh well - looks like it will stretch into the spring and summer.  Not a bad work in progress to keep up with here and there. 

 
And as an added bonus, I won a door prize as well!  I ended up picking from a great pool of prizes collected by Aimee and chose a charm pack of Aneela Hoey's Posy line from Moda.  Love it!

Linking up with: QuiltStory's Fabric Tuesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. These came out great! Glad you could make it up for the day at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful and I can't wait to see what you do with the Posy charms!!! So fun seeing you Saturday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look terrific! I love them in the high-contrast purple and orange. I am sort of glad to hear that I am not the only one who thinks they are kind of slow going. I find template cutting incredibly tedious. The piecing is magical, I think, but all those little bitty background pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your feathers! The colors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful!! Love your colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful feathers! slow and steady wins the quilting race :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your feathers came out beautiful. The colors are wonderful. I can't wait to see the finshed top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your feathers are beautiful! I want to add these to my list, and I just love your fabric selection. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete