First of all, I'm actually using my old (and correctly sized) templates. Second of all, I made a very slight color correction in my fabric choices.
|My original color inspiration|
To try and correct this effect without being too drastic, I went back into my stash to pull out an extra bluish purple and a few monochromatic magentas. When you add those into the mix...
|New blocks on the left and old blocks on the right|
Lastly, in Rachel's ScrapBeeLicious request, she linked to this post at Olivia Jane Handcrafted that had some great suggestions on how to greatly reduce the amount of fabric waste that the original feather pattern created. The Anna Maria Horner pattern asks you to create strips that are the entire width of the fabric. This creates huge triangles of wasted fabric at each end and also doesn't give you nearly as much variety in your feathers. Meredith's tutorial first uses strips that are 22" long - or about half your width of fabric - and then staggers them down the 45 degree angle. Here's the difference:
|Waste from original blocks on the right and from Olivia Jane Handcrafted's tutorial on the left|