Monday, July 29, 2013

ScrapBeeLicious and Loving It!

Well the Plum and June Blog Hop has wrapped up and it was such a great way to meet lots of like-minded and inspiring modern quilters!  I'm thanking my lucky stars that Ashley and Laura decided that all that fun was just too good to give up already and they put out the call between the Hop participants to start up our own bee!  Now I and 12 other bloggers make up the ScrapBeeLicious Quilting Bee!  This will be my (and a lot of other members of the hive's) first bee experience and our fearless leaders decided that these bee blocks should have us working from our stash and scraps.  This is a total blessing for me.  Mostly because I have a lot of scraps.  A lot.


This is because I save practically every scrap - even those fabric "crumbs" - when I probably have no good reason to do so.  Until now that is!  I've already started combing Pinterest and Flickr for inspiration on block designs and color palettes...it's all just too much to narrow down yet but at least I have until May to finally get things figured out.  

But I really need to focus on less new fabric and working from my extensive stash.  I haven't even considered trying to total up yardage or different prints.  I think I would scare myself.  And speaking of scraps, how extensively do you guys hoard those scraps and crumbs?  And what about orphaned blocks?  While I was combing through my scraps, I separated out all the orphaned blocks from random quilts, minis and various guild projects.  I can't bring myself to just toss them, but I'm not sure what I'll use them for.  


Correction - I did use some of my leftover Posy HSTs to create this block for a surprise mystery project.  Guess there's a good reason to keep them after all!  Yay for fabric justification!


In the meantime, check out the other members of ScrapBeeLicious - it's going to be an amazing 13 months of blocks!

August: Ashley @ Wasn’t Quilt in a Day
September: Gwendellyn @ The Rainbow Revolts
October: Cath @ Wombat Quilts
November: Alyce @ Wonderland by Alyce
December: Nicole @  Modern Handcraft
January: Rachel @ Let’s Begin Sewing
February: Nanette @  Yeah, I Made That
April: Robin Sue @  RobinSue Quilts
May: Stephanie H @ Simple Sewendipity
June: Stephanie A @ Quarter Incher
July: Michelle @ Factotum of Arts
August: Laura @ Little and Lots

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I keep seeing similar comments! We should start another one!

      Delete
    2. I am curious about bees. If you get to use (or made to use) some of those crumbs and such I would love to do one too. I have so much building up.

      Stephanie, I bet you will come up with something for those orphan blocks so hang on to them...you just never know.

      Delete
    3. You ladies should start up a second hive! The more, the merrier!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to get some blocks with those awesome scraps! I generally only save pieces that are larger than 2.5". Also, Julie you should try to get a hive 2 up and running... The more the merrier IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait to see what you pick to make - and i think you'll find that you inspired my choice :) i save almost ALL scraps. i think to myself, this could always become a ticker-tape quilt. of course, i've only been at this for 7 months, so i'm sure i'll have to stop hoarding at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SUPER organized, Stephanie! I spy some really good scraps in there (rubs hands together gleefully)

    I'm amassing quite a pile of orphan blocks, too. I kind of thought kitchen sink quilt? But I'm not sure. Somebody somewhere ought to come up with a way to "bust" orphan blocks, too (without making a zillion tote bags).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for being in a bee with friends...those are the best kind!! Happy block making :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep a LOT of my scraps. And often work from them. The snippets tend to pile up but I'm going to tackle Amanda Jean's mini 9 patch in the hopes it will eat up some of those.

    And sometimes I use leftover blocks to make pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I save everything but am not nearly as organized as you at keeping track of it;-) This is going to be fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I save all my scraps but seeing as I haven't been quilting that long, I don't have too many and my stash isn't that extensive either, so I didn't sign up for the bee. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your baggies - can't wait to see what fabric gems come out of there! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I save a scrap if it is over 1 1/2 inches and you should think of String quilt to use those up. Unless it is bigger than an inch throw it away. Getting smaller just frays and clogs your sewing machine. I feel like a mean mom but it kills me to to throw any of it away. I participate in swaps on flicker and trade the bigger ones (2 1/2) wide minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! I hoard scraps and adopt orphan blocks like there's no tomorrow, I just cannot resist!

    ReplyDelete