Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Soft {Block} Rock'n...


Soft rock isn't usually something that I associate with anything truly pleasant, but let's see if I can't try to expand my own horizons.  We're into the third month of our ScrapBeeLicious year and so far, so good!  Each month has made me try something a bit out of my normal color/pattern/comfort zone and I'm really enjoying feeling stretched this way.

This month, Cath of the amazing Wombat Quilts is Queen Bee and she requested low-volume paper pieced blocks.  At first I thought - low volume?  Not really my thing, but I'm sure that I have oodles of fabric and scraps for it.  Apparently not.  In reality, I have a seriously screaming fabric stash.  Hard to imagine, I know.



But I did manage to gather up enough dominantly white fabrics with a very muted rainbow palate to create two different but cohesive blocks.  I love paper piecing and since I've been all wrapped up in Broken Herringbone's lately, it was really nice to step off into something different.  It's no secret that I'm in love with Julie's Block Rock'n Series and yet again I referenced her amazing catalog of paper pieced blocks.  Here is my Mercury block in some soothing hushed tones.



I also tried a variation of her Penny Lane block.


I truly love both blocks and their whispering ways.  It's making me toy with the idea of low volume projects for myself.  I guess there is something to be said for soft rock after all.

Linking up:

Fresh Poppy Design

16 comments:

  1. Wow these are very impressive :) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous!!! So soft and pretty, it'll be a gorgeous quilt:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks! I especially love the mercury block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! I especially love your mercury block :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That muted rainbow in your Penny Lane block has me questioning everything I know about the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - they are impeccable and your fabrics are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blocks! You actually do have some great low volume fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making some of Julie's blocks have been on my to do list. I have made some projects with a bright foreground and a low volume background and have fun with that. I, too, would like to do an all low volume project. Your blocks are gorgeous and it looks like you are part of a fun bee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an amazing low volume job. I also have a screaming stash but was surprised how much quiet stuff I had hidden in amongst the loud. These blocks are so awesome

    ReplyDelete