Monday, April 13, 2015

Stars in the Technicolor Galaxy...


I know that you can scarcely believe it, but this master procrastinator has stayed on task for two months in a row with the Technicolor Galaxy BOM!  Block #2 was a big task and I've actually held off quilting them all until next month when there are only 4 blocks to complete and the load is a bit lighter.


This month covered all twelve Star Point blocks that surround the Color Wheel.  Each block is foundation paper pieced and has 14 different pieces.  They were very easy to assemble but it was keeping track of the progression of color around the wheel that was the tricky part.  I pretty much kept the Color Wheel splayed out on the floor at all times and each time I completed a piece, I laid it out where it will eventually be sewn into place.


Since I consider myself to be fairly proficient in paper piecing at this point, there wasn't too much technique that was new EXCEPT for the materials that I used.  Until this point, I've only used regular copier paper.  The templates that I purchased along with the class included wash away foundation pieces.  They feel a bit like iron-on interfacing and have the patterns printed directly onto them.  They are supposed to wash out completely the first time that you launder the finished quilt.  I really liked how I could apply my fabric directly onto the foundation pieces and hold them securely with a swipe of washable glue stick instead of a myriad of pins.  Everything stayed so nice and flat!  It will be interesting to see the texture after the first washing!


But aren't the colors just gorgeous? I love how one blends right into the next and how the low volumes of the background add extra interest without taking away from the brightness of the colored star points.  Now it's onto Block #3 for April - piano keys!

Linking up:
Fresh Poppy Design




14 comments:

  1. This looks awesome so far. Your fabric choices are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO gorgeous! The colors are so vivid, and the background fabrics really add a lot of interest to it.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - fabulous. Love it. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm regretting not signing up for this project. You are doing a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do we sign up for this? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The PP block that I am working on now have 13 pieces, and I usually work on four of them at a time, but I'm also not using so many different fabrics for each block. Where can you find the wash away paper? I too have only used copy paper, but this sounds really interesting.

    Really beautiful fabric choices... your project has a really nice flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking really nice so far! That would be a bear to keep organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your wheel! I haven't started the piano keys yet, but can't wait! After the center (and the hardest pain in the butt) the rest is much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love you quilt, when I see it. It will be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've looked closely at the original pattern, and I have to say, I really like the changes you've made to make this quilt your own. It will be fun to keep following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your version is beautiful! I can't wait to see the next layer.

    ReplyDelete