It's been a while since I've shown any finished clothing projects - mainly because I hardly ever do them. But I've had a lingering (2 years) work in progress hanging around the back of my closet that I just finished so let me give you the backstory!
Side note: awkward selfies ahead - proceed with caution and a sense of humor
A few months after I had my oldest daughter, I was at that awkward stage where my maternity clothes were way too big but my regular clothes were still pretty snug and an event where I needed something dressy (but not too nice) was coming up. Even though I was a new mom with an infant at home, I thought the easiest route would be to make something myself. I'm still not sure what gave me such overconfidence that I could pull this off - but my insanity ended up paying off.
I needed something that would allow easy access for nursing but would still look like a regular dress and an elastic neckline peasant dress fit the bill. I found some bright floral fabric at a local quilt store and bought enough for Easy McCall pattern M5039:
I realize that tastes change over 5 years, but looking at this pattern cover, I honestly have no idea what drew me in about it. But once the dress was finished, I loved it. It totally fit the bill and I've been occasionally wearing it ever since (even though it's a bit big around the middle).
Fast forward to Baby #2...same dilemma, so brilliant me I thought that I would make a new dress from the same pattern to mix things up a little bit. I ended up finding this deep purple batik fabric on clearance and all the material for the dress came to $3. Score! This time I added a solid band of fabric at the waist. I got as far as finishing the dress with the exception of adjusting the elastic at the neckline and completing the hem because when I went to try it on, it was a little bit snug. It was too depressing, so I shoved it in the back of my closet, sad and unfinished.
It was totally forgotten until 2 years later as I was cleaning out my closet last week. I tried it back on, and it was a little big around the middle now. Now that's what I call a good problem to have! I adjusted the elastic, finished the hem and added a couple rows of ruching with elastic thread on the back to cinch it in.
I don't love it as much as the original - something about the fabric and the solid just doesn't sit right with me now that I'm two years out from picking it - but it's still a $3 dollar dress and a finished project. The peasants would be proud.