Typically, I don’t love working with orange, but the love of the print outweighed the tangerine hesitation. It’s a fairly small scale print, so I thought it would be cute to use for a name tag! I fussy cut the little princess close to my embroidered name and added borders to each side that featured all those stacks of mattresses.
It seemed a little bare after that, so I also appliqued on tiny swatches of a crown and shoes. Cute!
Slap on a binding and all looks good!
Until…I stopped for a millisecond to consider the size. This is supposed to be a name tag. My finished size turned out to be more like a huge stinking pocket. Sigh. I considered just adding on a ribbon lanyard and slinging it around my neck, but to be totally honest, I didn’t love the whole look as much as I thought I would when I was putting it all together. It was cute, it just wasn’t totally ME.
Hmph. Back to the drawing board.
I still had one tiny scrap with a Princess on it, so I kept her and the white background and decided to make things a little more colorful.
I love a rainbow theme, so I found the tiniest 1” swatches of my favorite scraps in each major color and ROYGBIVed it with tiny white sashing.
Instead of a binding, I just sewed all the way around and then topstitched. And yes, I know that my corners stink - I'm always afraid that I'll poke holes in my fabric, so I went more for the rounded corner look. I was a little paranoid that it would still be too big, but I think the size is perfect at 3 x 4.5 inches.
I loved this finish so much more - it feels much more like my usual style, so it's coming with me to meet Alyssa Haight Carlton today. Hope to see you there!